Saturday, December 4, 2010

The Break-up

Mike left for Yuma yesterday evening. His leaving was actually a three day process. He left on day-1 and called from San Rafael, an hour north from here over the Golden Gate Bridge, to say that he stopped off to see his friend Dave. What this actually meant was that he went to his old stomping grounds to hook up for one last boost of meth. Day-2 he called and said that he would be stopping by to say good-bye one last time before actually heading south. He dropped by but was crashing so hard from the meth high that he was nearly incoherent. He laid down minutes after arriving here and didn’t make an appearance until yesterday, day-3. I was on my way back from taking the older boys to school and picking up diapers when he called to say he was leaving again. We said our good-byes over the phone and he was pulling out of the drive as I pulled in and we waved in parting. Later in the day, walking to pick the boys up from school I called Mike to see how far he had gotten. Not far at all. He was a mere mile or so away picking up organic apples at Molly Stones and would drop them off on his way out of town and he said he would call in the morning. I didn’t see him this time around; I did get the apples he left in the trunk of the trailer. So, when I say that Mike left for Yuma yesterday evening I am speculating. I will give him a call later this morning and will find out then.
I wish him the best. We broke up. Or is it a Rachel and Ross “taking a break” kind of thing? I am sure he will be back at some point but will there be any point in resuming a relationship that was lost among the ruins of addiction and codependency? So, I wish him the best as he tries to mend his relationship with his mother and to heal the hurt inside of him. Me, I will go on as I always do, meeting the challenges of the day and looking for a way to heal myself and continue my search for a place to call home.

No comments:

Post a Comment